Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Can-Can Challenge: Take 2


For our second can-can challenge, I picked something I had high hopes for, something I remember as a kid and I'm pretty sure my Dad still eats on a semi-regular basis.  Corned Beef Hash.


Another one of Hormel's products, the corned beef hash on label doesn't look very appetizing, but I've had it before, and as far as I can remember it wasn't too bad (loaded with hot sauce).  So this taste test was really for Matt.  It was a good thing he didn't do the cooking though, because I'm sure it would have never made it to the plate.  Open the can and you will find, wait, what, is that dog food?!  I guess you could feed it to your dog, but it isn't dog food persay, although it looks and smells like it.  Just hurry up and get it in the fry pan, when it starts crackling away and turning from pink to red, it actually starts smelling good.  You have to keep pushing the hash around so it cooks evenly, scoop it up and flip it, and start the process over again.  I liked to have it pretty crispy.  Served with eggs over easy, toast, fresh squeezed oj and english tea, corned beef hash is a WIN!

Which brings us to the next part of the challenge, now how much should we bring?  Well, even with tabasco, we didn't like it that much, so we'll have to see what kind of units we can buy it in at BJs.  If we had it once every two weeks, figure 4-6 month supply,  I guess maybe we'll be packing up a dozen cans of it?  At least we know there's some hope for the canned foods out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment