Sunday, May 27, 2012

Gray May

The month of May has yielded us some very gray weather. The few days we had exploring around Acklins, Long and Rum were amazingly clear and windless, but the rest of the month has been very dreary.

Summertime cruising is challenging in the tropics, the heat is often excessive, bugs are rampid and a significant part of my day is spent monitoring the unstable weather. I was just reading another cruisers blog who is in the San Blas Islands, where we wanted to be. They were having issues with extreme lightning storms which had damaged several of the boats down there. We have been fortunate thus far with only distant rumblings and flashes but nothing too close.

As I write this it is about day 8 of being somewhat couped up in our small boat due to constant rain and squalls. There is a trough which has formed over us stretching from Central America all the way to the Carolinas. This trough has even developed into Tropical Storm Beryl, which fortunately is harassing NE FL and not us.

Laura will be leaving me in a few days to go to Philly and take the LSAT. My dad will be joining me, followed by mom who will be sailing the boat back to Cape Coral with me where Laura will meet us. I'll be hoping for some more stable weather for the next couple of weeks, but with tropical waves marching across the Atlantic one  after the other that doesn't seem likely.




No comments:

Post a Comment